||Experimental Design for the Core AGCM Experiments
- Supplied by UREADMM (CGAM)
- No interannual variability in boundary conditions to aid analysis of extreme events (better statistics)
- For control experiments:
- Climatological monthly mean SST & sea-ice concentrations derived from HadISST observations for 1961-1990
- CO2 at average concentration for 1961-1990
- For perturbed experiments (2xCO2):
- Monthly mean SST & sea-ice concentration anomalies will be added to climatological fields used for control experiments
- SST and sea ice anomalies will be derived from 1% pa CO2 CMIP-type integration with HadCM3 model. We will use the difference between two 30 year means: a) mean for period with CO2 values near present day b) mean for period with values near 2 x present day CO2.
- CO2 at 2 x present day
- Individual groups responsible for interpolating SST and sea-ice concentrations onto their model grid.
Duration of experiments:
- For each of control and perturbed experiments, 2 x 25 year integrations with different initial conditions. 2 integrations to sample any drifts e.g. associated with memory in land surface. Ignore first 5 year of each integration giving 40 years of data to analyse for each experiment.
- Use of a 360 day calendar if possible.
Diagnostics and data:
- Requested ENSEMBLES RT4 Diagnostics list.
- Common data archive at CGAM. Rules:
- All data must be in CF compliant netCDF format . It is the responsibility of each group to provide the data in the correct format.
- Data should be placed in a suitable location (e.g. www or anon ftp site) from where it can be retrieved by CGAM.
- CGAM will manage a password protected www site giving access to the archive.
- land/sea warming contrast just one aspect of interest
- Please volunteer for diagnostic subprojects (email: email@example.com)